Thursday, 31 March 2011

2011 Australian Grand Prix latest news

The Formula 1 season gets under way this weekend with the Australian GP and we will discover what sort of shape the McLaren team are in after a difficult winter which has seen them return back to the old car.

There have also been rumours that Lewis Hamilton might seek pastures new at the end of this season, although the Brit has reinforced his commitment to the team that helped him win the 2008 title.

“I’ve spoken to Martin (Whitmarsh) today because I wanted to reassure him that I am here at McLaren, that I am committed to the team and committed to winning” said Hamilton.

The man that they all have to beat in Melbourne is Sebastian Vettel, the winner of last year’s Drivers’ Championship and the German will be driving a new Red Bull car this time around.

The reigning champion was pleased with the car’s performance during the Friday practice, with Vettel and Mark Webber finishing ahead of the other drivers.

“I think we got a good idea as to where we are compared to our competitors” Vettel said. “All in all I think we can be pleased, it seems we are not too bad, but we have to wait and see.”

Meanwhile, Fernando Alonso is hoping to land a hat-trick of titles this year after narrowly missing out in his Ferrari in 2010 and the Spaniard has revealed the team don’t have a clear strategy for Sunday’s race.

“We will not have a clear strategy before the race. We will remain very open. We have fuel for the whole race so there is no panic to prepare any lap to stop” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment